Web sites

Lee and Thorpe get a lot of attention from college baseball websites

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. — With a .432 batting average and a 3-0 record with a 2.13 ERA six weeks into the season, Cal Poly shortstop Brooks Lee and pitcher Drew Thorpe receive a lot of attention.

D1Baseball.com has updated its positional power rankings for shortstops and Lee remains No. 1.

“When we put together our preseason All-America teams, we followed one guiding principle: if we were building a team to win the 2022 national title, which players would we choose? power,” D1Baseball.com staff said.

“Now we have six weeks of performance to build on, and we’ve looked at early season stats, but we’ve also tried to keep the numbers in context, because some leagues or baseball fields are more offensive. than others, and the quality of non-conference competition varies widely — so not all stat lines are created equal.

“In addition to the 2022 numbers, we also considered raw talent, long-term track record from previous seasons, and makeup. And for high-end defensive positions like receiver and shortstop, the stats defensive and abilities have also been weighted more heavily.These are NOT professional prospect lists, although they do take pure talent into consideration.

“Finally, remember that there are nearly 300 Division I teams, and we rank roughly in the top 10% at every position. These lists reflect our projections of the best players at the top this spring. , but many good players in the remaining 90% simply didn’t make it in. We’ll revisit the Position Power rankings after Week 12 and make adjustments as players prove themselves on field.

Lee is No. 1 in the nation with 14 doubles and also No. 23 in hardest to knock out (once every 15.0 at bat). Additionally, Lee is 23rd in field goal percentage (.531), 30th in hits (38), 36th in total bases (66), 24th in walks (22), 47th in RBI (28), 29th with his . 432 batting average and 49th in slugging percentage (.733).

To view the full list of 30 shortstops in the Position Power Rankings, click here (subscription required).

Meanwhile, Thorpe caught the eye of D1Baseball.com writer Nathan Rode in David Seifert’s The Scouting Trail, Week Six.

In his West Coast Outlook reports, Rode writes…

“With a potential 1-1 choice as a teammate (Lee) and the decimation of the college pitching class, Drew Thorpe gets its share of looks and its business justifies any ascent. The Cal Poly ace had a season-high 15 strikeouts and three hits allowed in seven innings against UC San Diego last week, giving up no runs and walking just two. His strikeout ratio is now an impressive 66-6 in 42.1 innings this season.

“Rather than dominating hitters with a big fastball, Thorpe racks up swings and misses his side tricks, starting with a plus change. He has enormous confidence and ground control, regularly doubling and tripling on it. Sitting in the 80s, he looks like a fastball out of his hand and gets a great run and fade.

“He used it often the first two times of the command, and when the batters started to get off of it, he went to the slider. At first he lacked bite and showed a gradual break, but he kept going. to improve, flashing above par with The fastball is fringe, sitting 89-92 without much life, but he can sneak it through hitters since he uses it maybe 40% of the time.

“Listed at 6-foot-4 and 190 pounds, he looks like he could carry some extra mass. The delivery is simple and in line and he has a short arm action that lends some deception. The plus change has been there for Thorpe, but an above-average additional secondary offering and his ability to control the zone puts him in the conversation of one of the best healthy college starters in the country.”

Thorpe’s 66 strikeouts led the nation at the start of the week, one ahead of Florida State’s Parker Messick. The three-time Big West Conference pitcher of the week is also 11th in strikeouts (11.00) and 35th in walks allowed per nine innings (1.28).

Thorpe’s 15 strikeouts last Friday night were a career high and tied the school’s Division I record set by Matt Imhof against Seattle in 2014. Thorpe combined with a reliever Jason Franks for 20 strikeouts in the 7-0 shutout, tying another school record. The Washington, Utah native has had double-digit strikeouts in five of his six starts this year and nine times in his career with Mustang.

Thorpe will be on the mound Friday night when Cal Poly (14-10) plays the first of four non-conference games against Dixie State (13-10) at 6 p.m. inside Baggett Stadium. Saturday’s doubleheader begins at 1 p.m., with Sunday’s series finale scheduled for a first pitch at noon.