The junior engineers of the MID verification system (X2) will play a key role in the construction of the MID radio telescope at the SKA Observatory in South Africa. These roles will be based in Cape Town, South Africa, and will be known internally as the MID System ITF Test Engineers.
Junior MID Verification System Engineers will report to the ITF MID System Manager who is responsible for coordinating the integration, testing, verification and debugging of products from vendors to the Integration Test Facility (ITF) and on site.
Junior MID Verification System Engineers will be responsible for performing integration and testing, developing and / or coordinating the development of scripts and procedures, and supporting the overall verification of the MID telescope system requirements.
The MID Verification Junior Engineers are members of the MID Assembly Verification and Integration (TDT) Telescope Delivery Team (TDT), a multidisciplinary team responsible for the “delivery” of the integration of the MID. MID products. Within the MID AIV TDT, MID’s junior verification system engineers provide technical support, both within their specific discipline and across the MID telescope.
Minimum education required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in electronic, systems or software engineering
Minimum experience in:
- Minimum three years in Systems Engineering and AIV and commissioning of high-tech projects
- Relevant experience in resolving hardware and software issues with vendors, with the ability to identify and resolve complex and novel technical issues through technical analysis and original thinking.
- A proven track record of successful technical delivery and hands-on experience in the assembly, integration, testing and verification of high-tech projects (hardware and software).
- Experience working in a multicultural environment.
- Good understanding of systems engineering and requirements management principles and experience in their application.
Aptitudes / Aptitudes / Skills:
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with senior technical experts.
- Be a flexible team player who adapts to change.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed (typically 3-4 times per year for one or two weeks).
Additional training desired, exp. & personal qualities:
- Membership or eligibility for membership in recognized national or international institutes of systems engineering.
- Experience in design verification for mass production and / or large scale fabrication and assembly.
- Experience in the field of quality assurance.
- Development and integration of software for scientific projects.
- Knowledge of Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
- Understanding of the basics of configuration management.
As a business unit of the NRF, SARAO is committed to employment equity and redress
Job type: Contract
SARAO reserves the right to modify and / or withdraw advertisements at any time and without notice.
- Verification system engineer
About the employer:
The Square Kilometer Array Telescope (SKA) is an international effort of more than a dozen countries to build the world’s largest and most advanced radio telescopes in South Africa and Australia. South Africa and Australia are both co-host members of the SKA Observatory (SKAO), a UK-based intergovernmental organization responsible for the construction and operation of SKA telescopes.
The first phase of the SKA will consist of two telescopes:
– South Africa will host the Medium Frequency Telescope (SKA-Mid). SKA-Mid will consist of up to 197 dishes distributed along spiral arms spanning 150 km in the Karoo, Northern Cape. The South African Radio Astronomical Observatory (SARAO), a facility of the National Research Foundation, is responsible for the management of all radio astronomy initiatives and facilities in South Africa, including the MeerKAT radio telescope, the precursor to the SKA telescope.
– Australia will host the SKA Low Frequency Telescope (SKA-Low). SKA-Low will include up to 131,072 cluster antennas along spiral arms spanning 65 km at CSIRO’s Murchison Radio Astronomy Observatory (MRO) in WA.
Find out more / Apply for this position