- Instagram on the web lets you use the social media app from a browser on your computer.
- The web version of Instagram includes most of what the mobile app offers, with a few exceptions in the stories feature and the Shop feature.
- You can post to Instagram from the web, but you must choose photos or videos stored on your computer.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference Library for more stories.
Most people use Instagram on their phone using the social media platform’s mobile app, but if you need to post or interact with your followers while sitting at a computer, no worry, you can use Instagram on the web. Using Instagram on the web, you can post, comment, and interact with your account from any Mac or Windows PC.
How to Use Instagram in a Web Browser
Instagram on the web is similar to the mobile app. If you are already familiar with the social media service on your phone, using it in a web browser won’t be too difficult for you. Even so, the layout is noticeably different.
To get started, open the Instagram webpage webpage in your browser and log in with your account information. By default, it should open to stream. At the top of the page, you should see a toolbar with all the main controls at your disposal:
- Homepage: The in the shape of a house icon displays the selected feed from your account. You can scroll through them and browse posts the same way you would use the mobile app.
- posts: The Message icon takes you to your private messages page, where you can read, reply to, and send messages to your friends and followers.
- Create a new post: Click it plus sign (+) to create a new message (for details, see the next section).
- To explore: Click it compass icon to see the Explore page. This is similar to the crawl results that display on your search page in the mobile app.
- Activity: Click it heart icon to see a drop-down menu listing recent interactions with your Instagram account. You can see users who have followed you, liked a photo, left a comment, etc.
- Profile: Click on your profile icon to see the options menu. You can go to your profile page, see photos you’ve saved, access settings, or switch accounts (if you’re signed in to multiple Instagram accounts on the web).
When you scroll through Instagram posts on any of the pages, you can interact with them using the same tools as on the mobile app. Directly under a photo, you can:
- Like a picture. Click it Heart icon.
- See all comments for this photo. Click it comments icon. The photo will open in a magnified view and you can see the message thread on the right.
- Share the picture. Click it To share icon, address it and add a message. Click on To send.
- add a comment. Enter a comment, then click To post.
How to post on Instagram from a computer
Posting to Instagram on the web is simple – just click the Create a New Post icon (the plus symbol) at the top of the web page, then select a photo or video from your computer. For all the details, here’s how to post on Instagram using your computer.
How the Instagram web differs from the mobile app
Instagram on the web offers a similar experience to using the mobile app, but the website is slightly incomplete. The most significant difference is with stories: you can’t post or add to your own story, but you can still view your story and stories from accounts you follow. Also, you won’t find a Shop tab on the web version of Instagram, unlike the latest versions of the mobile app.