DOWNLOAD THE PDF VERSION
Kimberly Lankford reviews the best websites for military families.
1. Better Business Bureau can help you discover businesses in your new city. BBB Military Line focuses on information specifically for the military.
2. Investor Protection Trust. The site is packed with information on investing and protecting your money, including resources specifically for the military.
3. North American Association of Securities Administrators. This site includes links to state securities regulators, tips for avoiding scams, and other valuable information for investors.
4. The Securities and Exchange Commission military site tracks enforcement actions regarding military sales practices and affinity fraud, and provides general investor education.
5. SaveandInvest.org alerts military families to active scams, includes advice on saving and investing, and provides resources for verifying advisors.
6. MilitaryMoney.com offers advice on all aspects of personal finance for military families, as well as links to information on discount and support programs.
7. MilitarySaves.org focuses on savings and debt reduction strategies, and includes success stories from service members who have made savings a priority. The site also highlights special programs during Military Saves Week (the last week of February).
8. SGLI Veterans Affairs Department. Visit this site for detailed information on military group life insurance.
9. Defense Credit Union Council includes contact information for credit unions based and other financial information for service members.
10. Kiplinger.com covers all topics related to personal finance, from saving and investing to insurance, taxes and financial planning.
11. MyMoney.gov includes helpful information from various government resources on budgeting, taxes, homeownership, credit, and scam prevention.
12. TSP.gov provides details on the Thrift Savings Plan for military personnel.
13. Military payment includes information on salaries, benefits and savings for military and retirees.
14. ClearPoint Credit Counseling Solutions offers advice on budgeting, housing and debt. You can reach a financial specialist at 877-465-2227 or meet in person at their offices near military bases in Illinois, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington. .
15. Military site of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. This site focuses on special insurance considerations for members of the military and includes contact information for state insurance regulators.
16. MilitaryOneSource.com is a clearinghouse for information on all things military, including deployment, legal rights, and finances.
17. Armed Forces Legal Assistance explains the special legal rights of members of the military and includes contact information for legal aid offices at nearby bases.
18. Military home front. This Department of Defense website focuses on resources and benefits for military families.
19. MyArmyBenefitsincludes information on military pay and benefits, transition information, tax rules, and other military benefits by state and life event.
20. Armed Forces Tax Guide, IRS Publication 3 explains the special tax rules for military personnel.
21. U.S. Department of Justice Military and Veterans Rights Page provides information on the special legal rights of military members and veterans.
22. Military.com/deployment helps active duty personnel, reservists, and National Guard members and their families prepare for deployment.
23. National Military Families Association provides resources to help military families prepare for deployment and deal with other financial issues.
24. Department of Veterans Affairs VA Loan Site includes detailed information on VA loans.
The following sites contain information on benefits and support for military families:
Find more tips in our: A Guide to Personal Finance for Military Families